University of Victoria Grad Student Society

Gearing up for a busy week? Don't forget to stop into our office to buy your tickets for the Trampoline Park event…
Nov 19, 2017 @ 9:00am

FacebookTwitterRSS FeedFourSquare

Financial Support

Working while you study

Many grads find employment in the form of Teaching Assistantships (TAs) or Research Assistantships (RAs). Many programs offer co-op opportunities as well. 

Co-operative Education and Career Services has job postings for both on and on campus, manages co-op education programs, and runs workshops to help prepare for the job hunt.

The workstudy program provides work experience for students in financial need. You apply for eligibility through the Student Awards and Financial Aid office. Positions are posted here.

Loans, Banks

As a result of tuition hikes and general increases in the cost of living, there is a very good chance you will find yourself needing a student loan. You may know the drill already, but if not, BC and other province application packages, information on maximums, minimums, loan remission, emergency loans and answers to questions are available from Student Awards & Financial Aid (2nd floor of the University Centre 250-721-8423). They can also provide you with information on scholarships and bursaries for graduate students.

Another source you can check out is the Faculty of Graduate Studies webpage. If you need assistance to study outside BC, contact the provincial government office of student financial assistance at (250) 387-6100.

Scholarships & Funding

The Faculty of Graduate Studies has comprehensive listings of funding sources specific to graduate students. This includes the Travel Grant program, which is jointly funded by the GSS and the Faculty of Graduate Studies, and provides assistance to students attending academic conferences.

The GSS has also created a Travel Grant for Distance Students, to help defray the costs of travelling to campus for the mandatory on-campus component of many distance programs.

Talk to your supervisor about applying for grants within your research field.

Attend workshops on tri-council grant applications (tri-council grants are grants from the federal government, also referred to as NSERC, SSHRC or CIHR). You can receive support and advice on your application from the Faculty of Graduate Studies grantscrafters.

For information on funding to support international travel, please see the International Office's Financial Support page and the Global Engagement newsletter.

Loans, emergecncies, and bursaries

UVIC`s Student Awards and Financial Aid office has information on government student loans, UVIC emergency loans, and bursaries. The GSS funds a childcare bursary for graduate students; students with children can apply for this bursary through the Student Awards and Financial Aid office.